Though it was a contested decision, late last week Indian Point’s Unit 2 nuclear reactor permanently shut down after nearly 46 years generating electricity for Westchester County and New York City. Since New York state receives 32% of its energy from nuclear the move to decommission the reactor in the midst of the pandemic was […]Continue Reading 501 words
Yesterday, New York and New Jersey–the epicenters of the U.S. COVID-19 breakout–made more bleak headlines even as other evidence showed that the virus’ impact was beginning to slow. However, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo explained that the curve is flattening as state rates of hospitalization have continued to decrease. Governors and mayors are struggling to […]Continue Reading 395 words
Around the world, as people have been asked to stay home and avoid using public transportation, bicycles have begun to soar in popularity. From local bike shops that can’t keep to with demand to cities that have started expanding emergency bikes lanes and bike share programs, people are increasingly relying on bikes to safely maneuver […]Continue Reading 539 words
Want the planet in your inbox?
Stay in the know, empower yourself to be a #FriendOfThePlanet, sign up to receive ODP in your inbox each morning!
by Zoey Shipley New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo has gained national media attention for his handling of the coronavirus pandemic. In many ways, he’s become a leader for many people across the nation during this time. And despite the pandemic, Solar Industry Magazine reported that “New York public authorities and agencies have passed legislation as […]Continue Reading 485 words
Yesterday Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R), Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) and D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser (D) all announced stay at home orders, with Virginia’s to last until June 10th–the longest order of any state. We also saw more cities and retail stores begin to furlough workers, as our institutions and economy begin to contend […]Continue Reading 299 words
Around the world cases of COVID-19 reached 300,000 and in the United States they topped 34,000 with 400 total deaths. Those statistics are jarring however one of the most concerning news stories this past weekend was the fact that Americans are still refusing to stay home and take social distancing seriously. From beaches in Northern […]Continue Reading 387 words
Nearly 5 years ago, Mayor Bill de Blasio pledged New York City would send zero waste to landfills by 2030, in part by scaling up an aggressive composting program to turn food scraps into nutrient-rich soil. It’s now 2020 and the city is nowhere near meeting the mayor’s stated goals.Continue Reading 502 words
by Alex Patel and Miro Korenha The Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, a landmark climate change bill in New York state is awaiting signature by Governor Andrew Cuomo. The act would slash New York’s carbon emissions 85% below 1990 levels by 2050 and use alternative measures to remove the remaining 15% of atmospheric carbon […]Continue Reading 509 words
After bans on the sale of animal fur were passed throughout California, some New York City councilmembers pushed their colleagues this week to back a ban on the sale of fur in the nation’s largest fur retail market. The bill’s opposition comes from religious groups including black pastors and Hasidic leaders. As the New York Times […]Continue Reading 487 words
After the most pro-environment budget agreements in many years, Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature reached an agreement to enact a congestion pricing plan, a new law to ban plastic bags as well as an ambitious new goal to cut food waste.Continue Reading 362 words
The State of New York is poised to ban all single-use plastic bags shopping bags in the state. Last weekend Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that the states new budget law “includes legislation to ban single-use, plastic bags provided to customers and allows counties and cities to opt in to a 5-cent fee on paper bags, with 40 percent of the revenue supporting local programs to buy reusable bags for low and fixed income consumers, and 60 percent of the revenue supporting programs in the State’s Environmental Protection Fund.”Continue Reading 325 words
The Hudson River has been one of America’s most important waterways but throughout the 20th century, it turned into a sewer for industrial waste (most notoriously when GE spent years cleaning up the toxic PCB it dumped in the river). However, as the Guardian reported, last June, researchers were shocked to discover some startling evidence […]Continue Reading 187 words