New Orleans Levees Sinking, City Sues Oil Companies

Part of New Orleans’ levee system      Photo: Edmund D. Fountain, The Lens NOLA

According to E&E News, the $14 billion levee system, which was recently totally rebuilt to better defend the New Orleans in the event of another catastrophic storm like Hurricane Katrina, is subsiding and soon may not provide sufficient protection from a 100-year storm.

  • NOLA.com reported last week that the Army Corps of Engineers will study potential improvements — portions of the post-Katrina levee system are likely to be inadequate to reduce risk from stormwater surges because climate change is increasing the intensity of storms and sea level rise, and because the soils beneath the levees and wetlands that surround them are sinking.
  • Even if the studies find that the proposed improvements to the levees are both feasible and cost-effective, Congress will still have to fund 75 percent of construction costs and the state of Louisiana would have to come up with the other 25 percent.

At the same time, the City of New Orleans and several other parishes nearby sued 11 oil and gas companies, including Entergy New Orleans, claiming that when those companies dug canals and buried pipelines through the wetlands near the city for their operations, they caused the nearby land to erode and wash away, and the erosion has been exacerbated because the canals haven’t been properly maintained.

  • New Orleans Mayor Latoya Cantrell said, “The land that’s been lost was a protective barrier defending us from hurricanes and floods. If the current trend holds, New Orleans will be a literal coastal city within the next fifty years.”
  • The city’s claims are based on studies from local universities and the Rand Corporation that concluded that coastal land loss could cost the state more than $133 billion in lost capital stock.
  • The Governor of Louisiana encouraged the local governments to file suit in the hope that the oil and gas companies would provide funds to restore the wetlands, which would help to cover the costs of a massive restoration effort to minimize the loss of land in coastal Louisiana.

Why This Matters: The concerns about the levees in New Orleans, and the greater problem of loss of land in coastal Louisiana, have been debated by the public for much of the last five years.  The law that directed the upgrade of the levees mandated that they have to be strong enough to withstand a 100-year storm, and if they are not, the federal government might not guarantee flood insurance to the people who live behind them.  Approximately 2,000 square miles of coastal wetlands have been turned to open water since the 1930s, and land continues to be lost at an estimated rate of a football field every hour. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported that at those rates the remaining wetlands protecting the levees could be under water before the end of the century.  So if the oil and gas companies are causing some of this erosion to occur, they ought to pay to restore the wetlands and improve levees.  If they don’t, then taxpayers will have to pick up the cost and it won’t be cheap.

The Mississippi River snaking through coastal Louisiana in 2015  Image: NASA

Up Next

Biden Announces Roadmap to Build a Climate-Resilient Economy

Biden Announces Roadmap to Build a Climate-Resilient Economy

By Amy Lupica, ODP Daily Editor In May, President Biden ordered government agencies to evaluate and develop a plan to mitigate the risk that climate change presents to the US economy. Last week, the administration released a first-of-its-kind roadmap to building a climate-resilient economy. The 40-page report was announced Friday and lays out concrete government-wide […]

Continue Reading 444 words
Study Finds Disparities In Escaping Extreme Heat

Study Finds Disparities In Escaping Extreme Heat

By Natasha Lasky, ODP Staff Writer As the earth’s temperature skyrockets, so will the demand to beat the heat with air conditioning. While access to cooler air is yet another example of climate inequity, a new study published in Nature found that people in lower-income countries may also have to pay much more than those […]

Continue Reading 376 words
The Fellowship Feels the Heat

The Fellowship Feels the Heat

According to a new study published in Nature Climate Change, 85% of the global population is feeling the impacts of human-induced climate change. Meanwhile, the world’s most emitting nations are also some of its wealthiest but have lagged on taking decisive climate action as developing countries bear the brunt of climate fallout. If high emitters don’t step up to lead the charge […]

Continue Reading 90 words

Want the planet in your inbox?

Subscribe to the email that top lawmakers, renowned scientists, and thousands of concerned citizens turn to each morning for the latest environmental news and analysis.