The Week Ahead: April 15 – 19, 2019
Happy Monday! Today is tax day and hopefully, your taxes are filed. Here is a list of freebies available to make the day a bit more fun. It’s also Patriot Day in Massachusetts and Maine, and we are hoping the Boston Marathon runners don’t get too wet – the forecast there was for rain. Tiger Woods won his fifth Green Jacket at the Masters (he did not endorse the Green New Deal though).
Congress is in recess this week, so Washington, D.C. will be a bit quieter.
Earth Day: Across the nation, Earth Day celebrations have already begun! Here are some of the Earth Day Events happening across the country this week:
- Tucson, Arizona: Earth Day Festival, Saturday, April 20 at the Children’s Museum
- Oakland, California: 25th Annual Earth Day Saturday, April 20 – residents can join cleanup and restoration projects at creeks, parks, and neighborhood sites throughout Oakland.
- Orlando, Florida: Central Florida Earth Day, Saturday, April 20 – a day of colorful and educational exhibits and activities! It will take place at beautiful Lake Eola Park in downtown Orlando. Admission is FREE!
- Honolulu, Hawaii: Mauka to Makai Environmental Expo, Saturday, April 20 – FREE, family-friendly event will promote the importance of keeping Hawaii clean and free of pollution, from the mountaintops to the Ocean, Waikiki Aquarium.
- Indianapolis, Indiana: Indiana Earth Day Festival, Saturday, April 20, White River State Park in downtown Indianapolis, and if you bike they will watch your bike while you enjoy the events.
- Kansas City, Kansas: Party for the Planet, Saturday, April 20, Kansas City Zoo — bring in your old cell phones, iPods, iPads, tablets, mp3 players and all accessories to be recycled.
- New York, New York: Various events April 19-23, in all five boroughs.
- Columbus, Ohio: Earth Day Ohio, Saturday, April 20, Genoa Park downtown — a day-long celebration featuring local music, family-friendly activities, eco-friendly artisans, and Columbus’ best food trucks.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Earth Day Cleanup, Saturday, April 20, Lardner’s Point Park, help with shoreline trash pickup, trail maintenance, invasive removal, plantings and more.
- Nashville, Tennessee: Earth Day Nashville, Saturday, April 20, Centennial Park, features exhibits and hands-on activities aimed at educating Nashvillians about protecting our environment and living green. Free bike valet service!
We are sure there are more! Don’t see your city? Here is a list collated by Earth 911 with many more cities’ events.
ICYMI: The first episode of the final season of Game of Thrones premiered last night. We never thought about it this way, but according to Vanity Fair, Game of Thrones is the “Big, Sometimes Clunky, Climate Change Allegory We Need.” Who knew? We thought winter was coming in Game of Thrones. It turns out that George R.R. Martin, the author of the books upon which the show is based, ‘told the New York Times that his story is ‘a perfect metaphor for understanding climate change.'”
On a Positive Note: The Hill published the story of an unlikely trio of bald eagles — two male and one female — raising three chicks together in a nest near the Mississippi River. According to the Stewards of the Upper Mississippi River Refuge, the three birds all “take part in nest maintenance, incubation and raising the young.” You can watch them live 24/7 for a fun Earth Day Activity that you can do at home.